- The definition of existential is something related to existence.
A philosophy designed to understand and consider existence and the meaning of existence is an example of something that would be described as existential.
- of, based on, or expressing existence
- of, relating to, or as conceived of in, existentialism
- Logic implicitly or explicitly asserting actuality as opposed to conceptual possibility
Origin of existentialModern Latin existentialis
- Of, relating to, or dealing with existence.
- Based on experience; empirical.
- Of or as conceived by existentialism or existentialists: an existential moment of choice.
- Linguistics Of or relating to a construction or part of a construction that indicates existence, as the words there is in the sentence There is a cat on the mat.