- The definition of existential is something related to existence.
A philosophy designed to understand and consider existence and the meaning of existence is an example of something that would be described as existential.
existential definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of, based on, or expressing existence
- of, relating to, or as conceived of in, existentialism
- Logic implicitly or explicitly asserting actuality as opposed to conceptual possibility
Origin: Modern Latin existentialis
existential definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or dealing with existence.
- Based on experience; empirical.
- Of or as conceived by existentialism or existentialists: an existential moment of choice.
- Linguistics Of or relating to a construction or part of a construction that indicates existence, as the words there is in the sentence There is a cat on the mat.
An existential word or construction.
- exˌis·tenˈtial·ly adverb