- The definition of practicable is something that is useful, or something that is possible to do or put into practice.
An example of practicable is a plan to streamline business operations that is possible to implement.
- that can be done or put into practice; feasible: a practicable plan
- that can be used; usable; useful: a practicable tool
Origin of practicablealtered (based on practice) ; from French praticable ; from pratiquer
- Capable of being effected, done, or put into practice; feasible. See Synonyms at possible.
- Usable for a specified purpose: a practicable way of entry.
Origin of practicableMedieval Latin prācticābilis, capable of being used, from prācticāre, to practice, from prāctica, practice, from Greek prāktikē, practical science, from feminine of prāktikos, fit for action, practical, from prāssein, prāk-, to make, do.
Example of use contrasted with practical:
- "While others might agree that it really was practical to rewrite the entire section, it just was not truly practicable given other considerations."
From French praticable.