empirical[em pir′i kəl]
- The definition of empirical is something that is based solely on experiment or experience.
An example of empirical is the findings of dna testing.
- relying or based solely on experiment and observation rather than theory: the empirical method
- relying or based on practical experience without reference to scientific principles: an empirical remedy
Origin of empiricalempiric + -al
- a. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.b. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
- Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.
From empiric + -al.
empirical - Investment & Finance Definition
Based upon analysis of data or experience rather than on deduction or speculation.