- The definition of hypothetical is something that is assumed or based on theory.
An example of hypothetical is a plan based on something that would never happen.
- based on, involving, or having the nature of a hypothesis; assumed; supposed
- given to the use of hypotheses: a hypothetical mind
- Logic conditional
Origin: from Glassical Greek hypothetikos (from hypothesis) plush -al
- hypothetically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation. See Synonyms at theoretical.
- a. Suppositional; uncertain. See Synonyms at supposed.b. Conditional; contingent.
Origin: From Greek hupothetikos, from hupothetos, placed under, supposed, from hupotithenai, to suppose; see hypothesis.
- hyˌpo·thetˈi·cal noun
- hyˌpo·thetˈi·cal·ly adverb