hypothetical[hī′pə t̸het′i kəl]
- The definition of hypothetical is something that is assumed or based on theory.
An example of hypothetical is a plan based on something that would never happen.
- based on, involving, or having the nature of a hypothesis; assumed; supposed
- given to the use of hypotheses: a hypothetical mind
- Logic conditional
Origin of hypothetical; from Classical Greek hypothetikos (; from hypothesis) + -al
- Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation.
- Conditional; contingent: the hypothetical meaning of a clause beginning with if.
Origin of hypotheticalFrom Greek hupothetikos, from hupothetos, placed under, supposed, from hupotithenai, to suppose; see hypothesis.
(comparative more hypothetical, superlative most hypothetical)
- A hypothetical situation or proposition
- These hypotheticals serve no purpose until we have more information.
From Ancient Greek ὑποθετικός (hupothetikos)