- The definition of proven is something that has been verified or authenticated.
An example of proven is the fact of the earth being round; proven fact.
proven definition by Webster's New World
proven definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- provˈen·ly adverb
Variant of prove
- to test by experiment, a standard, etc.; subject to a testing process; try out
- to establish as true; demonstrate to be a fact
- to establish the validity or authenticity of (esp. a will)
- to show (oneself) to be capable, dependable, etc.
- Archaic to experience; learn or know by experience
- Math. to test or verify the correctness of (a calculation, etc.)
- Printing to take a proof of (type, etc.)
Origin: Middle English proven ; from Old French prover ; from Classical Latin probare: see probe
- to be found or shown by experience or trial; turn out to be: a guess that proved right
- Archaic to make trial