- a long drum used in Provence
- a sprightly dance of Provence, or music for it
Origin of tambourinFr, diminutive of tambour: see tambour
- a. A long, narrow, two-headed drum used in Provence.b. One who plays this drum.
- A style of dance in lively two-beat rhythm, accompanied by this drum.
Origin of tambourinProvençal tambourin, from Old French, diminutive of tambour, tambour; see tambour.
- Obsolete form of tambourine (percussion instrument)
- (obsolete) An old lively ProvenÃ§al dance, common on the stage.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.