- The definition of cloven is something that is split, separated or cut into two or more pieces.
An example of cloven is the hoof of an animal that is split into two pieces.
- Cloven means to have been split or separated.
An example of cloven is a fish that has been cut into pieces.
The cloven hoof of an animal.
cloven definition by Webster's New World
cloven definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of cleave
- to divide by a blow, as with an ax; split
- to pierce
- to sever; disunite
Origin: Middle English cleven ; from Old English cleofan; akin to German klieben ; from Indo-European base an unverified form gleubh-, to cut, slice from source Classical Greek glyphein, carve, Classical Latin glubere, to peel
- to split; separate; fall apart
- to make one's way by or as by cutting
- cleavable adjective