- The definition of clung means to have stuck, attached or became emotionally attached.
- An example of clung is two people having had a very long hug.
- An example of clung is a dryer sheet having stuck to a fleece jacket.
Past tense and past participle of cling.
(comparative more clung, superlative most clung)
- (obsolete) wasted away; shrunken
Variant of cling
intransitive verbclung, clinging
- to hold fast by or as by embracing, entwining, or sticking; adhere
- to be or stay near, as if holding fast
- to be emotionally attached
Origin of clingMiddle English clingen ; from Old English clingan, to adhere, stick together ; from Indo-European an unverified form gel-g- ; from base an unverified form gel-: see climb