- The definition of clung means to have stuck, attached or became emotionally attached.
- An example of clung is two people having had a very long hug.
- An example of clung is a dryer sheet having stuck to a fleece jacket.
clung definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
clung definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Past tense and past participle of cling.
Variant of cling
intransitive verb clung, clinging
- to hold fast by or as by embracing, entwining, or sticking; adhere
- to be or stay near, as if holding fast
- to be emotionally attached
Origin: Middle English clingen ; from Old English clingan, to adhere, stick together ; from Indo-European an unverified form gel-g- ; from base an unverified form gel-: see climb