The cloven hoof of an animal.
- The definition of cloven is something that is split, separated or cut into two or more pieces.
An example of cloven is the hoof of an animal that is split into two pieces.
- Cloven means to have been split or separated.
An example of cloven is a fish that has been cut into pieces.
A past participle of cleave1
- These animals must have cloven hooves and chew their cud.
- 29); when the Holy Ghost descended upon the apostles, " there appeared unto them cloven tongues of fire, and it sat upon each of them " (Acts ii.
- The facing of the cloven surfaces was done by hammer-dressing, using rounded masses of quartzose hornstone, held in the hand without any handle.
- The Jews are forbidden to eat animals other than cloven-footed ruminants; thus the camel, coney, hare and swine were forbidden; so also any water organisms that had not fins and scales, and a large choice of birds, including swan, pelican, stork, heron and hoopoe.