The definition of theoretical is something that is based on an assumption or opinion.
An example of theoretical is lower interest rates will boost the housing market.
- of or constituting theory
- limited to or based on theory; not practical or applied; hypothetical
- tending to theorize; speculative
Origin of theoreticalfrom Late Latin theoreticus from Classical Greek the?r?tikos from -al
- Of, relating to, or based on theory.
- Restricted to theory; not practical or applied: theoretical physics.
- Studying or working to develop theory.
Origin of theoreticalLate Latin theōrēticus from Greek theōrētikos from theōrētos observable from theōrein to look at ; see theorem .
(comparative more theoretical, superlative most theoretical)