- Applied is something that can be used for a definite purpose.
Using science to figure out the volume of water in a swimming pool is an example of an applied science.
- The definition of applied is you used something to solve a problem or answer a question.
If you pressed on the brakes to stop the car, then that is an example of how you applied the brakes.
- Applied means that something had an appropriate connection to something else.
A certain rule than needs to be followed only by certain people is an example of rules that are applied to certain people.
- Applied is defined as filling out paperwork in order to receive something, like a job or admission to a school.
If you answered questions about yourself and your work experience in hopes of getting a job, that is an example of applied for a job.
- Applied means you tried your very best when doing a task.
If you completed all class assignments and made a perfect score on the final, then that is an example of how you applied yourself.
applied definition by Webster's New World
applied definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of apply
- to put on or spread on; place so as to be touching: to apply a salve to the skin
- to put to some practical or specific use: to apply one's knowledge to a problem
- to refer to a person or thing with (an epithet or suitable term)
- to concentrate (one's faculties) on; employ (oneself) diligently: to apply oneself to one's work
Origin: Middle English applien ; from Old French aplier ; from Classical Latin applicare, to attach to ; from ad-, to plush plicare, to fold: see ply
- to make a formal request (to someone for something)
- to be appropriate, suitable, or relevant: this principle always applies
- applier noun