- bestowed; presented
- accustomed, as from habit or inclination; prone: given to lying
- stated; specified: a given date
- taken as a premise; assumed; granted: given that ABC is a right triangle
- issued or executed (on the specified date by the specified person): used in official documents
- An example of given is a box of books donated to charity; given to charity.
- An example of given is a person who always shows up late to parties; given to being late.
- An example of given is a time a person said they would be somewhere; a given time.
The definition of given is something handed out, likely to happen, specified or granted.
pp. of give
that which is assumed to be true or is accepted as a fact
Past participle of give
- a. Specified; fixed: We will meet at a given time and location.b. Granted as a supposition; acknowledged or assumed: Given the condition of the engine, it is a wonder that it even starts.
- Having a tendency; inclined: My neighbor is given to lavish spending.
- Bestowed as a gift; presented.
Something assumed or taken for granted: “It's a given that the writer of short stories will be keeping his day job” ( Donald E. Westlake )
- past participle of give
- Considering; taking into account.
- Given the current situation, I don't think that's possible.
- A condition that is assumed to be true without further evaluation.
(comparative more given, superlative most given)
- Already arranged.
- Currently discussed.
- Particular, specific.
- No more than three people can be in that space at a given time.
- Assumed as fact or hypothesis.
- Given that we will get the resources, what do we want to achieve?
- (with to) Prone, disposed.
- He was given to taking a couple of glasses of port at his club.
- Do you think they may have given up?
- Given all this, do you really believe this disease still has a chance?
- I'm here in one piece, sort of, and you've given me a clean slate to begin act two of my life.
- The seed corn was given me.
- The king's cupbearer, Sarcas, was very much offended because he was not given a share of the feast.