- tired out; physically exhausted; without energy
- used up; worn out; without power
- exhausted of sperm or spawn
Past tense and past participle of spend.
- Having been put to use and therefore unavailable for use: spent shell casings.
- Depleted of energy, force, or strength; exhausted: spent laborers.
- Depleted or nearly depleted of fissionable material: spent nuclear fuel.
- Simple past tense and past participle of spend.
Variant of spend
transitive verbspent, spending
- to use up, exhaust, consume, or wear out: his fury was spent
- to pay out (money); disburse
- to give or devote (time, labor, thought, or effort) to some enterprise or for some purpose
- to pass (a period of time): spending hours together
- to waste; squander
Origin of spendMiddle English spenden ; from Old English spendan (in compound ) ; from Medieval Latin spendere ; from Classical Latin expendere: see expend
- to pay out or use up money, etc.
- Obsolete to be or become consumed, wasted, etc.