The definition of consumed means eaten, drank, used up or destroyed.verb
- An example of consumed is a meal that's been eaten.
- An example of consumed is the gas that's been used up in a car.
- An example of consumed is a house that's been destroyed by a flood.
- An example of consumed is a person who's addicted to video games.
Variant of consume
- to destroy, as by fire; do away with
- to use up
- to spend wastefully; squander (time, energy, money, etc.)
- to eat or drink up; devour
- to absorb completely; engross or obsess: consumed with envy, a consuming interest
- to buy for one's personal needs
Origin: ME consumen < OFr consumer < L consumere, to use up, eat, waste < com-, together + sumere, to take < sub-, under + emere, to buy, take: see redeem
- Now Rare to waste away; perish
- to buy consumer goods or services for one's personal needs
- consumable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.