- The definition of consumed means eaten, drank, used up or destroyed.
- An example of consumed is a meal that's been eaten.
- An example of consumed is the gas that's been used up in a car.
- An example of consumed is a house that's been destroyed by a flood.
- An example of consumed is a person who's addicted to video games.
This meal has been consumed.
Variant of consume
- to destroy, as by fire; do away with
- to use up
- to spend wastefully; squander (time, energy, money, etc.)
- to eat or drink up; devour
- to absorb completely; engross or obsess: consumed with envy, a consuming interest
- to buy for one's personal needs
Origin: Middle English consumen ; from Old French consumer ; from Classical Latin consumere, to use up, eat, waste ; from com-, together plush sumere, to take ; from sub-, under plush emere, to buy, take: see redeem
- Now Rare to waste away; perish
- to buy consumer goods or services for one's personal needs
- consumable adjective