This dessert has been finished.
- The definition of finished is something that has been completed, or someone or something that has been ruined, or something that has had a particular coating applied, or someone who is skilled or polished.
- When you've eaten all of your lunch, this is an example of a time when your lunch is finished.
- When your career is over and destroyed by a scandal, this is an example of a time when your career is finished.
- When a coat of cherry stain has been applied to a piece of wood, this is an example of a time when the wood is finished.
- When you are a renowned poet beloved by critics the world over, this is an example of a time when you are a finished artist.
- Finished is defined as completed or ended.
When you ate all of your lunch and there is nothing left, this is an example of when you finished your lunch.
- ended; concluded
- highly skilled or polished; perfected; accomplished
- given a certain kind of finish or surface, as of paint, wax, etc.
- defeated, ruined, dying, etc.
- done with a task, activity, or concern: they were finished by noon
- a. Brought to a state of completion: a finished novel.b. In a state of having completed something: The cook is finished preparing the meal.
- a. Exhibiting a high degree of skill or refinement: an essay that was a finished piece of work.b. Highly accomplished or skilled; polished: a finished artist.
- a. Doomed to death or destruction: If the explorers don't get more supplies, they are finished.b. Having no more use, value, or potential; washed-up: With that injury, he's finished as a pitcher.
(comparative more finished, superlative most finished)
- (comparable) Processed or perfected.
- He gave a very finished, but uninspired performance.
- Terminated; concluded; done.
- I won't be finished until just before lunch.
- The program was finally finished after three hours.
- He wasn't finished cleaning up until nearly noon.
- He wasn't quite finished with his assignment.
- Done for; doomed; used up.
- simple past tense and past participle of finish
- He finished the cabinet with two more layers of polyurethane.