- The definition of notional is something that exists only in theory or only in the imagination.
An example of something that is notional is a scientific theory or belief that has not yet been tested or proven.
- of, expressing, or consisting of notions, or concepts
- imaginary; not actual: to inhabit a notional world
- ☆ having visionary ideas; given to whims; fanciful
- Gram. having full lexical, as distinguished from relational, meaning: “have” is notional in “we have a problem” and relational in “we have solved a problem”
Origin: ML notionalis
- notionally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, containing, or being a notion; mental or imaginary.
- Speculative or theoretical.
- Linguistics Conveying an idea of a thing or of an action; having full lexical meaning as distinguished from relational meaning. The word did is notional in We did the work and relational in We did not agree.
- noˈtion·al·ly adverb