- The definition of speculative is based off of thoughts not evidence.
An example of something speculative is a theory based on emotions that a certain stock is going to rise.
speculative definition by Webster's New World
- of, characterized by, or having the nature of, speculation or meditation, conjecture, etc.
- theoretical, not practical
- of or characterized by financial speculation
- uncertain; risky
- indulging in or fond of speculation
Origin: Middle English speculatif ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin speculativus
- speculatively adverb
speculative definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, characterized by, or based upon contemplative speculation. See Synonyms at theoretical.
- a. Given to conjecture or speculation.b. Marked by inquisitive interest: raised a speculative eyebrow.
- a. Engaging in, given to, or involving financial speculation: speculative brokers; speculative stocks.b. Spent in speculation: speculative funds.c. Involving chance; risky: speculative business enterprises.
- specˈu·la·tive·ly adverb
- specˈu·la·tive·ness noun