- The definition of visionary is someone or something that thinks about the future or advancements in a creative and imaginative way.
A person who is ahead of his time and who has a powerful plan for change in the future is an example of a visionary.
- The definition of a visionary is someone with unusual or progressive ideas about the future or advancements.
An example of a visionary is a great inventor who sees a problem and finds a way to create something that no one else has ever imagined.
- of, having the nature of, or seen in a vision
- existing only in the mind; not real; imaginary: visionary achievements
- not capable of being put into effect; not realistic; impractical: a visionary scheme
- seeing or disposed to see visions
- characterized by impractical ideas or schemes
- a person who sees visions; prophet or seer
- a person whose ideas, plans, etc. are impractical, too idealistic, or fantastic; dreamer
- a person of strong and creative imaginative power and, often, the ability to inspire others
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by vision or foresight.
- a. Having the nature of fantasies or dreams; illusory.b. Existing in imagination only; imaginary.
- a. Characterized by or given to apparitions, prophecies, or revelations.b. Given to daydreams or reverie; dreamy.
- a. Not practicable or realizable; utopian: visionary schemes for getting rich.b. Tending to envision things in perfect but unrealistic form; idealistic.
- One who is given to impractical or speculative ideas; a dreamer.
- One who has visions; a seer.
- viˈsion·arˌi·ness noun