An example of a Utopian ideal is world peace.
- of or like Utopia
- having the nature of, or inclined to draw up schemes for, a utopia; idealistic; visionary
- founded upon ideas envisioning perfection in social and political organization: a utopian community
Origin of UtopianModern Latin Utopianus
- an inhabitant of Utopia
- [oftenu-] a person who believes in a utopia, esp. of a social or political nature; visionary
- often Utopian Of, relating to, describing or having the characteristics of a Utopia: a Utopian island; Utopian novels.
- a. Excellent or ideal but impracticable; visionary: a utopian scheme for equalizing wealth.b. Proposing impracticably ideal schemes.
(comparative more utopian, superlative most utopian)
- Someone who supports or heralds the establishment of a utopia
From Utopia, a term coined by Sir Thomas More in his work of the same title, from Ancient Greek Î¿á½ (ou, “not, no") + Ï„ÏŒÏ€Î¿Ï‚ (topos, “place").