The definition of fanciful is something that is imaginary in a fun way, or is something designed to be for decoration, rather than practical.adjective
- If you are a terrible singer but harbor a belief that some day you will be an opera star, this is an example of a fanciful dream.
- Embellishments added to a dress that serve no purpose other than decoration are an example of something that would be described as fanciful.
- full of fancy; indulging in fancies; imaginative in a playful way; whimsical
- created in the fancy; imaginary; not real: a fanciful tale
- showing fancy in construction or design; quaint; odd: fanciful costumes
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Created in the fancy; unreal: a fanciful story.
- Tending to indulge in fancy: a fanciful mind.
- Showing invention or whimsy in design; imaginative. See Synonyms at fantastic.
- fanˈci·ful·ly adverb
- fanˈci·ful·ness noun