- The definition of imaginary is not real or existing only in the mind, or a square root of a negative number.
- An example of something imaginary is an invisible friend.
- An example of something imaginary is the square root of negative 16.
A little girl playing an imaginary game.
imaginary definition by Webster's New World
- existing only in the imagination; fanciful; unreal
- Math. designating or of the square root of a negative quantity, or of a complex number that is not real
Origin: Classical Latin imaginarius
imaginary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having existence only in the imagination; unreal.
- Mathematics a. Of or being the coefficient of the imaginary unit in a complex number.b. Of, involving, or being an imaginary number.c. Involving only a complex number of which the real part is zero.
An imaginary number.
- i·magˌi·narˈi·ly adverb
- i·magˌi·narˈi·ness noun