- Reverie is a state where you are lost in thoughts and daydreams.
An example of reverie is when you aren't paying attention to what is going on around you because you are daydreaming about going on vacation.
- dreamy thinking or imagining, esp. of agreeable things; fanciful musing; daydreaming
- a dreamy, fanciful, or visionary notion or daydream
Origin of reverieFrench rêverie ; from Middle French delirium ; from rever, roam: see rave
- A state of abstracted musing; daydreaming.
- A daydream: “I felt caught up in a reverie of years long past” (William Styron).
Origin of reverieMiddle English, revelry, from Old French, from rever, to dream.
From Old French reverie (â€œrevelryâ€), from resver (â€œto dream, to raveâ€), of uncertain origin. Compare rave.Attested as â€œcaper, frolic,â€ from 14thC; as â€œdaydreamingâ€ from 1657.