- Reverie is a state where you are lost in thoughts and daydreams.
An example of reverie is when you aren't paying attention to what is going on around you because you are daydreaming about going on vacation.
reverie definition by Webster's New World
- dreamy thinking or imagining, esp. of agreeable things; fanciful musing; daydreaming
- a dreamy, fanciful, or visionary notion or daydream
Origin: French rêverie ; from Middle French delirium ; from rever, roam: see rave
reverie definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A state of abstracted musing; daydreaming.
- A daydream: “I felt caught up in a reverie of years long past” (William Styron).
Origin: Middle English, revelry, from Old French, from rever, to dream.