- The definition of meditation is the state of sitting quietly clear of thoughts.
An example of meditation is someone sitting quietly and focusing only on their breath.
meditation definition by Webster's New World
- act of meditating; deep, continued thought
- solemn reflection on sacred matters as a devotional act
- oral or written material, as a sermon, based on meditation
Origin: Middle English meditacioun ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French meditation ; from Classical Latin meditatio
meditation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or process of meditating.b. A devotional exercise of or leading to contemplation.
- A contemplative discourse, usually on a religious or philosophical subject.
- medˌi·taˈtion·al adjective