An example of meditation is someone sitting quietly and focusing only on their breath.
- act of meditating; deep, continued thought
- solemn reflection on sacred matters as a devotional act
- oral or written material, as a sermon, based on meditation
- the practice of quieting the mind by focusing one's attention on one's regular breathing, on a mantra, etc., for the purpose of deepening one's spiritual awareness, reducing stress, etc.
Origin of meditationMiddle English meditacioun ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French meditation ; from Classical Latin meditatio
- a. The act or process of meditating.b. A devotional exercise of or leading to contemplation.
- A contemplative discourse, usually on a religious or philosophical subject.
(countable and uncountable, plural meditations)