- The definition of meditation is the state of sitting quietly clear of thoughts.
An example of meditation is someone sitting quietly and focusing only on their breath.
- act of meditating; deep, continued thought
- solemn reflection on sacred matters as a devotional act
- oral or written material, as a sermon, based on meditation
Origin of meditationMiddle English meditacioun ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French meditation ; from Classical Latin meditatio
- a. The act or process of meditating.b. A devotional exercise of or leading to contemplation.
- A contemplative discourse, usually on a religious or philosophical subject.
omphaloskepsis a form of religious meditation practiced by Eastern mystics who stare fixedly at their own navels to induce a mystical trance. Also called omphalism. thanatopsis a survey of or meditation upon death. Tm the abbreviation for transcendental meditation, a form of contemplation in which the mind, released by the repetition of a mantra, becomes calm and creative.
(countable and uncountable, plural meditations)