- Meditate is defined as to sit quietly and clear the mind or be deep in thought.
An example of meditate is sitting in a quiet room and focusing only on your breath.
- Rare to reflect upon; study; ponder
- to plan or intend
Origin: from Classical Latin meditatus, past participle of meditari, to meditate: for base see medical
- to think deeply and continuously; reflect; muse
- to engage in or practice meditation (sense )
- meditator noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb med·i·tat·ed, med·i·tat·ing, med·i·tates verb, transitive
- To reflect on; contemplate.
- To plan in the mind; intend: meditated a visit to her daughter.
- a. Buddhism & Hinduism To train, calm, or empty the mind, often by achieving an altered state, as by focusing on a single object.b. To engage in devotional contemplation, especially prayer.
- To think or reflect, especially in a calm and deliberate manner.
Origin: Latin meditārī, meditāt-; see med- in Indo-European roots.
- medˈi·taˌtor noun