- Whimsy is something fanciful or unusual in a fun way.
A fun, light-hearted movie about fairies is an example of something that would be described as having whimsy.
- an odd fancy; idle notion; whim
- curious, quaint, or fanciful humor: poems full of whimsy
- something odd or whimsical, as an art object, piece of writing, etc.
Origin: prob. from whim-wham
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
also whim·seynoun pl. whim·sies also whim·seys
- An odd or fanciful idea; a whim.
- A quaint or fanciful quality: stories full of whimsy.
Origin: Probably from whim-wham, fanciful object.