- The definition of a notion is an idea, belief or vague knowledge of something.
- An example of a notion is when you have an idea of what acceptable behavior is.
- An example of a notion is when you sort of remember hearing about a particular fact.
- a mental image; general idea
- a vague thought
- a belief; opinion; view
- a desire; inclination; whim
- a plan or intention
- ☆ small, useful articles, as needles, thread, etc., sold in a store
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin notio from notus: see note
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A belief or opinion.
- A mental image or representation; an idea or conception.
- A fanciful impulse; a whim. See Synonyms at idea.
- notions Small lightweight items for household use, such as needles, buttons, and thread.
Origin: Middle English nocioun, concept, from Latin nōtiō, nōtiōn-, from nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.