- The definition of a hint is a suggestion or small amount of something, or revealing just a bit of information.
- An example of a hint is someone smiling slightly suggesting that they are very happy.
- An example of a hint is a hot chocolate with just a slight flavor of chili.
- An example of a hint is a clue on a scavenger hunt.
- To hint is defined as to suggest something.
An example of to hint is to give clues to what someone will get for their birthday.
This woman's smile gives a hint to some emotion.
hint definition by Webster's New World
- a slight indication of a fact, wish, etc.; indirect suggestion or piece of advice; intimation; covert allusion: a hint that we should leave
- a very small amount or degree; trace: a hint of spice
- Obsolete an occasion; opportunity
Origin: probably variant, variety of hent
- hinter noun
hint definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A slight indication or intimation: wanted to avoid any hint of scandal.
- a. A brief or indirect suggestion; a tip: stock-trading hints.b. A statement conveying information in an indirect fashion; a clue: Give me a hint about the big news.
- A barely perceptible amount: just a hint of color.
- Archaic An occasion; an opportunity.
Origin: Probably from Middle English hinten, henten, to catch, grasp, from Old English hentan.
- hintˈer noun
hint - Computer Definition
hint - Phrases/Idioms
take a hint