- The definition of an aspersion is an unfavorable or damaging remark about someone or something.
Saying that someone has committed a felony is an example of an aspersion.
aspersion definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Now Rare a sprinkling with water, as in baptizing
- the act of defaming
- a damaging or disparaging remark; slander; innuendo
Origin: Classical Latin aspersio: see asperse
aspersion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An unfavorable or damaging remark; slander: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty.b. The act of defaming or slandering.
- A sprinkling, especially with holy water.