aspersion[ə spʉr′z̸hən, -s̸hən]
- The definition of an aspersion is an unfavorable or damaging remark about someone or something.
Saying that someone has committed a felony is an example of an aspersion.
- Now Rare a sprinkling with water, as in baptizing
- the act of defaming
- a damaging or disparaging remark; slander; innuendo
Origin of aspersionClassical Latin aspersio: see asperse
- a. A false or damaging accusation or insinuation: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty.b. The act of slandering or libeling; defaming.
- A sprinkling, especially with holy water.
From Latin aspersio (“sprinkling”).