An example of an intimation is a person's hint that she does not want to date her partner any longer.
- the act of intimating
- a formal announcement or declaration: now chiefly in law
- a hint; indirect suggestion
Origin of intimationMiddle English intimacion ; from Old French intimation ; from Late Latin intimatio
- The act of intimating; also, the thing intimated.
- Announcement; declaration.
- A hint; an obscure or indirect suggestion or notice; a remote or ambiguous reference; as, he had given only intimations of his design.
From Middle French intimation, from Latin intimatio