- The definition of an insinuation is an indirect hint or a suggestion of something bad.
An indirect hint that someone is lying is an example of an insinuation.
insinuation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of insinuating
- something insinuated; specif.,
- a sly hint or suggestion, esp. against someone
- action or remark intended to win favor; ingratiation
Origin: Classical Latin insinuatio
insinuation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act, process, or practice of insinuating.
- Something insinuated, especially an artfully indirect, often derogatory suggestion.