- The definition of an insinuation is an indirect hint or a suggestion of something bad.
An indirect hint that someone is lying is an example of an insinuation.
- the act of insinuating
- something insinuated; specif.,
- a sly hint or suggestion, esp. against someone
- action or remark intended to win favor; ingratiation
Origin of insinuationClassical Latin insinuatio
- The act, process, or practice of insinuating.
- Something insinuated, especially an artfully indirect, often derogatory suggestion.
- The act or process of insinuating; a creeping, winding, or flowing in.
- The act of gaining favor, affection, or influence, by gentle or artful means; — formerly used in a good sense, as of friendly influence or interposition.
- The art or power of gaining good will by a prepossessing manner.
- That which is insinuated; a hint; a suggestion, innuendo or intimation by distant allusion