A child uses his imagination.
When a child is playing house and creates a pretend story, this is an example of a child using his imagination.
- the act or power of forming mental images of what is not actually present
- the act or power of creating mental images of what has never been actually experienced, or of creating new images or ideas by combining previous experiences; creative power
- anything imagined; mental image; creation of the mind; fancy
- a foolish notion; empty fancy
- the ability to understand and appreciate imaginative creations of others, esp. works of art and literature
- resourcefulness in dealing with new or unusual experiences
- Obs. an evil plan or scheme
Origin of imaginationMiddle English ymaginacioun ; from Old French imagination ; from Classical Latin imaginatio ; from past participle of imaginari: see imagine
- a. The ability to form mental images of things that are not present to the senses or not considered to be real: The author uses her imagination to create a universe parallel to our own.b. The formation of such images: a child's imagination of monsters.c. One of these mental images: “some secret sense &ellipsis; which &ellipsis; took to itself and treasured up &ellipsis; her thoughts, her imaginations, her desires” (Virginia Woolf).d. The mind viewed as the locus or repository of this ability or these images: “This story had been rattling around in my imagination for years” (Orson Scott Card).
- The ability to confront and deal with reality by using the creative power of the mind; resourcefulness: handled the problems with great imagination.
- Attention, interest, or enthusiasm: an explorer's ordeal that caught the imagination of the public.
- The image-making power of the mind; the act of creating or reproducing ideally an object not previously perceived; the ability to create such images.
- Imagination is one of the most advanced human faculties.
- Particularly, construction of false images; fantasizing.
- You think someone's been following you? That's just your imagination.
- Creativity; resourcefulness.
- His imagination makes him a valuable team member.
- A mental image formed by the action of the imagination as a faculty; a conception; a notion; an imagining; something imagined.