The definition of fabrication is something that is false or not real.
The burglar’s made-up reason for stealing is an example of a fabrication.
- a fabricating or being fabricated; construction; manufacture
- a fabricated thing; esp., a falsehood, false excuse, etc.
Origin of fabricationMiddle English fabricacioun ; from Classical Latin fabricatio
(countable and uncountable, plural fabrications)
- (uncountable) The act of fabricating, framing, or constructing; construction; manufacture
- the fabrication of a bridge, a church, or a government
- (countable) That which is fabricated; a falsehood
- The story is doubtless a fabrication.
From Middle French fabrication, from Latin fabricatio