The definition of coinage is metal money.
An example of coinage is pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and silver dollars.
- the act or process of coining
- metal money; coins
- a system of money or metal currency
- an invented word or expression: “laser” is a recent coinage
Origin of coinageMiddle English ; from Old French coignaige
- The right or process of making coins.
- a. Metal currency.b. A system of metal currency.
- a. A new word or phrase.b. The invention of new words.
- Ancestry or social background: “Count Gengler was of common coinage, but in coming to America he took on a royal name” (Jimmy Breslin).
(countable and uncountable, plural coinages)
From Old French coignage, from coignier.