monetary[män′ə ter′ē; occas. mun′-]
- The definition of monetary is something related to money or currency.
The system wherein people pay with dollar bills and other paper money is an example of the monetary system.
- of or having to do with the coinage or currency of a country
- of or having to do with the supply of money in an economy; specif., designating or of policy that regulates the money supply, as through the periodic adjustment of certain interest rates by a central bank
Origin of monetaryLate Latin monetarius, of a mint ; from Classical Latin moneta, a mint
- Of or relating to money.
- Of or relating to a nation's currency or coinage.
Origin of monetaryLate Latin monētārius, from Latin monēta, money, mint; see money.
(comparative more monetary, superlative most monetary)
- Of, pertaining to, or consisting of money.