- The definition of coincide means to take place at the same time or to agree.
- Two people sharing a birthday is an example of coincide.
- Two people having the same interests is an example of coincide.
coincide definition by Webster's New World
- to take up the same place in space; be exactly alike in shape, position, and area
- to occur at the same time; take up the same period of time
- to hold equivalent positions, as on a scale
- to be identical; correspond exactly: our interests coincide
- to be in accord; agree
Origin: French coincider ; from Midieval Latin coincidere ; from Classical Latin co-, together plush incidere, to fall upon: see incident
coincide definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb co·in·cid·ed, co·in·cid·ing, co·in·cides
- To occupy the same relative position or the same area in space.
- To happen at the same time or during the same period.
- To correspond exactly; be identical.
- To agree exactly, as in opinion; concur. See Synonyms at agree.
Origin: Medieval Latin coincidere : Latin co-, co- + Latin incidere, to occur; see incident.