- The definition of conception is the process of becoming pregnant or the origin of anything.
- An example of conception is when the egg and sperm meet and form a life.
- An example of conception is the creation of a new marketing technique.
conception definition by Webster's New World
- a conceiving or being conceived
- that which is conceived; specif., an embryo or fetus
- the beginning of some process, chain of events, etc.
- the act, process, or power of conceiving mentally; formulation of ideas, esp. of abstractions
- a mental impression; general notion; concept
- an original idea, design, plan, etc.
Origin: Middle English concepcioun ; from Old French conception ; from Classical Latin conceptio, a comprehending, conception ; from conceptus: see conceive
- conceptional adjective
conception definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Formation of a viable zygote by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; fertilization.b. The entity formed by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; an embryo or zygote.
- a. The ability to form or understand mental concepts and abstractions.b. Something conceived in the mind; a concept, plan, design, idea, or thought. See Synonyms at idea.
- Archaic A beginning; a start.
Origin: Middle English concepcioun, from Old French conception, from Latin conceptiō, conceptiōn-, from conceptus; see concept.
- con·cepˈtion·al adjective
- con·cepˈtive adjective
- con·cepˈtive·ly adverb
conception - Cultural Definition
conception - Medical Definition
- The act of forming a general idea or notion.
- The formation of a viable zygote by the union of a spermatozoon and an ovum; fertilization.
- See concept.
conception - Science Definition