- a conceiving or being conceived; specif., the conceiving of an embryo
- that which is conceived; specif., an embryo or fetus
- the beginning of some process, chain of events, etc.
- the act, process, or power of conceiving mentally; formulation of ideas, esp. of abstractions
- a mental impression; general notion; concept
- an original idea, design, plan, etc.
Origin of conceptionMiddle English concepcioun from Old French conception from Classical Latin conceptio, a comprehending, conception from conceptus: see conceive