- The definition of a notation is a system of using symbols or signs as a form of communication, or a short written note.
- An example of a notation is a chemist using AuBr for gold bromide.
- An example of a notation is a short list of things to do.
notation definition by Webster's New World
- the use of a system of signs or symbols to represent words, phrases, numbers, quantities, etc.
- any such system of signs or symbols, as in mathematics, chemistry, music, etc.
- a brief note jotted down, as to remind one of something, explain something, etc.
- the act of noting something in writing
Origin of notationClassical Latin notatio ; from notare, to note
notation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A system of figures or symbols used in a specialized field to represent numbers, quantities, tones, or values: musical notation.b. The act or process of using such a system.
- A brief note; an annotation: marginal notations.
Origin of notationLatin notātiō, notātiōn-, from notātus, past participle of notāre, to note, from nota, note; see note.
notation definition by Wiktionary
(countable and uncountable, plural notations)
- (uncountable) The act, process, method, or an instance of representing by a system or set of marks, signs, figures, or characters.
- (uncountable) A system of characters, symbols, or abbreviated expressions used in an art or science or in mathematics or logic to express technical facts or quantities.
- (countable) A specific note or piece of information written in such a notation.
- She made a notation in the margin of the book.
notation - Computer Definition
How a system of numbers, phrases, words or quantities is written or expressed. Positional notation is the location and value of digits in a numbering system, such as the decimal or binary system.