- Entry is defined as the act of coming in, or a way to come in, or an item in a journal or on a list of data.
- An example of an entry is walking through an open door.
- An example of an entry is a door to a house.
- An example of an entry is what you write in your journal today.
The entry to a hotel.
entry definition by Webster's New World
- the act of entering; entrance
- the right or freedom to enter; entree
- a way or passage by which to enter; door, hall, etc.; entryway
- the recording of an item, note, etc. in a list, journal, etc. or of data in a computer file
- an item thus recorded
- the registration of a ship or cargo at a customhouse
- one entered in a race, competition, etc.; entrant
- two or more horses belonging to the same owner, entered in the same race, and constituting a unit for betting purposes
- a term defined, or a person, place, abbreviation, etc. identified, in a dictionary
- the heading under which an encyclopedia article is entered
- Card Games a card that can win a trick and thus gain the lead
- the taking possession of buildings, land, etc. by entering or setting foot upon them
- the entering upon premises with the intention of committing burglary or some other crime
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French entree ; from feminine past participle of entrer: see enter
entry definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. en·tries
- a. The act or an instance of entering.b. The privilege or right of entering.
- Sports The act of entering the water in completing a dive.
- A means or place by which to enter.
- a. The inclusion or insertion of an item, as in a record: made an entry in the ledger.b. An item entered in this way: a diary full of interesting entries.
- a. An entry word, as in a dictionary; a headword.b. A headword along with its related text.
- One entered in a competition: received 400 entries for the poetry contest.
Origin: Middle English entre, from Old French entree, from feminine past participle of entrer, to enter; see enter.
entry - Computer Definition
entry - Legal Definition