- an introducing or being introduced
- anything introduced, or brought into use, knowledge, or fashion
- anything that introduces, or prepares the way for; specif.,
- the preliminary section of a book, often having material considered essential to an understanding of the main text
- the preliminary part of a speech, treatise, etc.
- an opening section of a musical composition
- a preliminary guide or text
- the formal presentation of one person to another, to an audience, to society, etc.
Origin of introductionMiddle English introduccion from Middle French introduction from Classical Latin introductio