- An example of enlightenment is when you become educated about a particular course of study or a particular religion.
- An example of enlightenment was The Age of Enlightenment, a time in Europe during the 17th and 18th century considered an intellectual movement driven by reason.
Enlightenment is defined as being advanced and having gained necessary information or knowledge, especially spiritual knowledge.
an enlightening or being enlightened
- a mainly 18th-cent. European philosophical movement characterized by a reliance on reason and experience rather than dogma and tradition and by an emphasis on humanitarian political goals and social progress
- the period of this movementalso Age of Enlightenment
- a. The act or a means of enlightening.b. The state of being enlightened.
- Enlightenment A philosophical movement of the 1700s that emphasized the use of reason to scrutinize previously accepted doctrines and traditions and that brought about many humanitarian reforms. Used with the.
- Buddhism & Hinduism A state in which the individual transcends desire and suffering and attains nirvana.
(usually uncountable, plural enlightenments)