- Enlightenment is defined as being advanced and having gained necessary information or knowledge, especially spiritual knowledge.
- An example of enlightenment is when you become educated about a particular course of study or a particular religion.
- An example of enlightenment was The Age of Enlightenment, a time in Europe during the 17th and 18th century considered an intellectual movement driven by reason.
an enlightening or being enlightened
- a mainly 18th-cent. European philosophical movement characterized by a reliance on reason and experience rather than dogma and tradition and by an emphasis on humanitarian political goals and social progress
- the period of this movement
- a. The act or a means of enlightening.b. The state of being enlightened.
- Enlightenment A philosophical movement of the 1700s that emphasized the use of reason to scrutinize previously accepted doctrines and traditions and that brought about many humanitarian reforms. Used with the.
- Buddhism & Hinduism A state in which the individual transcends desire and suffering and attains nirvana.
(usually uncountable, plural enlightenments)