- an initiating or being initiated
- the ceremony or conventions by which a person is initiated into a fraternity, club, etc.
Origin of initiationClassical Latin initiatio
- a. The act or process of initiating something.b. The process of being initiated.c. The condition of being initiated.
- A ceremony, ritual, test, or period of instruction with which a new member is admitted to an organization or office or to knowledge.
- The act of initiating, or the process of being initiated or introduced; as, initiation into a society, into business, literature, etc.
- The form or ceremony by which a person is introduced into any society; mode of entrance into an organized body; especially, the rite of admission into a secret society or order.
From Middle French initiation, from Latin initiatio