- The definition of commencement means the act or celebration of beginning.
An example of commencement is the start of a race.
A graduate speaking at her commencement ceremony.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the act or time of commencing; beginning; start
- the ceremonies at which degrees or diplomas are conferred at a school or college
- the day when this takes place
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A beginning; a start.
- a. A ceremony at which academic degrees or diplomas are conferred.b. The day on which such a ceremony occurs.