A graduate speaking at her commencement ceremony.
An example of commencement is the start of a race.
- the act or time of commencing; beginning; start
- the ceremonies at which degrees or diplomas are conferred at a school or college
- the day when this takes place
- A beginning; a start.
- a. A ceremony at which academic degrees or diplomas are conferred.b. The day on which such a ceremony occurs.
- The first existence of anything; act or fact of commencing; rise; origin; beginning; start.
- The time of Henry VII ... nearly coincides with the commencement of what is termed modern history. -allam.
- 1800, William Took, View of the Russian empire during the reign of Catharine the Second
- Yet from the commencement of mining there have been unnoble proprietors of mines, who belonged to the class of merchants.
- The day when degrees are conferred by colleges and universities upon students and others.
- A graduation ceremony, from a school, college or university.