- The definition of graduation is when you receive an academic diploma after completing your education, or is the event at which the diploma is granted, or is a line or mark that shows the next level.
An example of graduation is when you finish college and get your diploma at a special ceremony.
A group of students at their graduation.
- a graduating or being graduated from a school or college
- the ceremony connected with this; commencement
- a marking of a flask, tube, gauge, etc. with a series of degrees for measuring
- one or all of the degrees marked; a degree or scale
- an arrangement or classification into grades according to amount, size, etc.
Origin of graduationMedieval Latin graduatio ; from past participle of graduare: see graduate
- a. Conferral or receipt of an academic degree or diploma marking completion of studies: the rate of graduation of student athletes.b. A ceremony at which degrees or diplomas are conferred; a commencement.
- a. A division or interval, as on a graduated scale: shading with many fine graduations.b. A mark indicating the boundary of such a division or interval.
- An arrangement in or a division into stages or degrees.
- The action or process of graduating and receiving a diploma for completing a course of study (such as from an educational institution).
- A commencement ceremony.
- (sciences) A marking (i.e. on a container) indicating a measurement.
- The exposure of a liquid in large surfaces to the air, so as to hasten its evaporation.