- simple past tense and past participle of commence
The definition of commenced means started or began.
When the graduation ceremony started five minutes ago, this is an example of when the graduation ceremony commenced.
- Fred knew he'd overstepped his bounds and commenced to make amends.
- Rockhill, commenced his Tibetan journeys, and also attempted to reach Lhasa, without success.
- In June 1835 Airy was appointed Astronomer Royal in succession to John Pond, and thus commenced that long career of wisely directed and vigorously sustained industry at the national observatory which, even more perhaps than his investigations in abstract science or theoretical astronomy, constitutes his chief title to fame.
- For a long time, I just looked at her until she commenced to cry again.
- In exchange for the subsistence of the French troops of occupation, a corresponding number of these new levies were moved to the south of France, where they commenced to arrive at.