(dē tān′ər, di-)
- a person or thing that detains
Anglo-Fr detener, inf. used as n. < OFr detenir: see detainLaw
- the unlawful withholding of land or goods from the rightful owner
- the detention of a person without the person's consent
- a writ for continuing to hold a person already in custody
See detainer in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A withholding from the rightful owner of property that has lawfully come into the possession of the current holder.
- The detention of a person, especially in custody.
- A writ authorizing the further detention of a person in custody, pending further action.
Learn more about detainer