- a person or thing that detains
Origin of detainerAnglo-French detener, infinitive used as noun ; from Old French detenir: see detainLaw
- the unlawful withholding of land or goods from the rightful owner
- the detention of a person without the person's consent
- a writ for continuing to hold a person already in custody
- The withholding of property from its rightful owner.
- The holding of a person in custody, especially under a writ authorizing continued custody for the purposes of making the person available to other authorities to answer other charges.
From detain + -er.
detainer - Legal Definition
The act of keeping a person or thing in one’s custody or possession; an order authorizing a prison to continue holding a prisoner beyond his or her release date, typically while proceedings are commenced in another jurisdiction.unlawful detainer
The illegal holding of real property by a formerly lawful tenant beyond the date of legal possession, as in the holdover of a lease.