- simple past tense and past participle of commence
The definition of commenced means started or began.
When the graduation ceremony started five minutes ago, this is an example of when the graduation ceremony commenced.
- Fred knew he'd overstepped his bounds and commenced to make amends.
- Rockhill, commenced his Tibetan journeys, and also attempted to reach Lhasa, without success.
- For a long time, I just looked at her until she commenced to cry again.
- The agitation against the influx of Chinese commenced industry.
- He commenced M.A.