work in progress
nounpl. works in progress
- A yet incomplete artistic, theatrical, or musical work, often made available for public viewing or listening.
- One, such as an inexperienced athlete, who has not yet reached his or her peak potential.
(countable and uncountable, plural works in progress)
- (uncountable) Work that has been commenced, but is not complete.
- All the efforts to make a New Man are still work in progress.
- (countable) A project that has been commenced but is not complete.
- Reorganizing my office is a work in progress.
- (uncountable, accounting) A portion of inventory that represents goods which are no longer salable as raw materials, but not yet salable as finished goods, work in process.
- Work in progress has dramatically declined due to reduced production cycle times.
- Often used as an apology for something not meeting some kind of standard of completeness or perfection.
- Attributive use of work in progress as adjective.
- We've worked hard to reduce work-in-progress inventory by speeding up production.