- The definition of an investiture is adorning or swearing in of a person for a position of authority or power.
An example of an investiture is the United States presidential inauguration ceremony.
- a formal investing as with an office, power, or authority, often with appropriate symbols or robes
- anything that clothes or covers; vesture
- Feudal Law ceremonial transfer of land to a tenant
Origin of investitureMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin investitura ; from Classical Latin investire
- The act or formal ceremony of conferring the authority and symbols of a high office.
- An adornment or cover.
Origin of investitureMiddle English, from Medieval Latin investītūra, from Latin investīre, to clothe; see invest.