The definition of an entree is a meal's main course or the act of entering someplace.noun
- An example of an entree is a steak.
- An example of an entree is someone walking into a building.
- the act of entering
- right, permission, or freedom to enter, use, or take part in; access
- the main course of a meal
- in some countries, a dish served before the main course or between the fish and meat courses
Origin: Fr entrée < OFr < fem. pp. of entrer, enter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The main dish of a meal.b. A dish served in formal dining immediately before the main course or between two principal courses.
- a. The act of entering.b. The power, permission, or liberty to enter; admittance.
Origin: French entrée, from Old French entree; see entry.