A dinner entree of chicken.
- An example of an entree is a steak.
- An example of an entree is someone walking into a building.
- the act of entering
- right, permission, or freedom to enter, use, or take part in; access
- the main course of a meal
- in some countries, a dish served before the main course or between the fish and meat courses
Origin of entreeFrench entrée ; from Old French ; from feminine past participle of entrer, enter
- a. The main dish of a meal.b. A dish served in formal dining immediately before the main course or between two principal courses.
- a. The act of entering.b. The power, permission, or liberty to enter; admittance.
- An opening or introductory movement at the beginning of a dance such as a pas de deux.
Origin of entreeFrench entrée, from Old French entree; see entry.
- An alternative spelling of entrée.