- an inserting or being inserted
- something inserted; specif.,
- a piece of lace or embroidery that can be set into a piece of cloth for ornamentation
- a single placement of an advertisement, as in a newspaper
- Anat. the point of attachment of a muscle to the part that it moves
Origin of insertionClassical Latin insertio
- The act or process of inserting.
- Something inserted, as an ornamental strip of lace or embroidery inserted between pieces of fabric.
- Anatomy The point or mode of attachment of a skeletal muscle to the bone or other body part that it moves.
- Genetics The addition, as by mutation, of one or more nucleotides to a chromosome.